Over the last couple of weeks, the Overwatch community waited anxiously for the announcement of a new hero. Blizzard teased fans with news of a new hero in the form of 11-year old scientist Efi Oladele. However, it was safe to assume that Efi Oladele was not the new hero herself, but was somehow linked to the new character.
Overwatch finally clarified with the release of a new character video. In the video, Efi Oladele tells the story of how she builds an omnic after witnessing Doomfist’s attack in Numbani. Efi builds her omnic to protect and gives her the name of Orisa, who will be the newest addition to Overwatch’s diverse cast of heroes.
According to Blizzard, Orisa is a tank-class character and comes with multiple abilities including:
- Fusion: Projectile cannon that delivers sustained damage, but lowers movement speed.
- Fortify: Reduces damage taken (to self).
- Halt: Graviton charge that can detonate. Slows enemies and pulls them towards explosion.
- Protective Barrier: Stationary barrier that is throwable. Can protect self and teammates.
- Supercharge: Deploys device to increase damage inflicted by allies within her line of sight.
The announcement of Orisa came as a surprise to many, as it was believed that Doomfist was to be the next hero in Overwatch. The only news we currently have of Doomfist is that actor Terry Crews has expressed interest in the role.
Orisa is currently available to play on Public Test Realm servers on PC. However, there has been no set date for her release.